[ESmail] Summer #7 (Sept. 1, 2014)

Eric D. Zimmerman zimmerman at es.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 1 09:51:55 PDT 2014

IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES:

All UCSB Summer Session deadlines:
http://summer.ucsb.edu/static/tiles/calendar/deadlineChartStatic.jsp

---------------------------

ES Advisor, Eric Zimmerman, is currently out of the office until Monday,
September 22, 2014. He will respond to emails as quickly as possible after
his return.

For immediate academic advising inquiries please contact the Environmental
Studies Peer Advisors at: espeers at es.ucsb.edu or in Bren 4313 during their
posted office hours: http://www.es.ucsb.edu/student/advising

EMERGENCY INFORMATION
If this is an advising emergency contact the ES Program Main Office at
805-893-2968 or the College of Letters and Science Academic Advising
Office: http://www.duels.ucsb.edu/advising

1)  SAVE THE DATE:  UCSB ES Program's 45th Anniversary Celebration
	and Alumni Reunion! - April 23-26th, 2015.
	More info will be posted in coming months.  Event will
	parallel UCSB's All Gaucho Reunion:
	http://allgauchoreunion.com/

2)  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Santa Barbara SOL Food Festival and
	great Env Professional networking Opportunity.
	- September 27th  | 10am-6pm,Plaza Vera Cruz

3)  Students Against Fracking Campaign Director Job Opening

5)  BECOME A PART OF FAIRVIEW GARDENS!

CONTENT:

1)  SAVE THE DATE:  UCSB ES Program's 45th Anniversary Celebration and
Alumni Reunion! - April 23-26th, 2015.

More info will be posted in coming months.  Event will parallel UCSB's All
Gaucho Reunion: http://allgauchoreunion.com/

2)  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Santa Barbara SOL Food Festival
	- September 27th  | 10am-6pm,Plaza Vera Cruz

The beauty of food rests in it's power of bringing people together. The SOL
Food Festival is a free community festival that leverages this power by
celebrating local farmers, chefs, organizations and individuals working to
better our food systems.

LoaTree was a past production partner for SOL Food, and is now a proud
media sponsor. In its 5th year, SOL Food connects, educates and inspires
the community to participate in the growing Sustainable, Organic, and Local
(SOL) food movement and the creation of a healthier, happier, and more
sustainable community.

This year, the festival will bring in over 80 sponsors and exhibitors and
over 6,000 people. Highlights include: the Garden of Eatin', numerous kids
activities, a Hands On Kitchen, and to top it all off, The Oasis Beer and
Wine Garden.

UCSB students are invited to attend this free event.  We are also looking
for volunteers to help.  For more information visit:
<http://solfoodfestival.com/>
To volunteer visit: <http://solfoodfestival.com/get-involved/volunteer/>

3)  Students Against Fracking Campaign Director Job Opening

Here's another opportunity with CSSC that I would appreciate if you share
in the ESMail. We are looking for a new Campaign Director and more
information can be found at our website.
<http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org/campaign-director-application/>

Duties and roles are listed below as well. Here is a short blurb about the
position:

CSSC is hiring a Campaign Director to help coordinate its Students Against
Fracking (SAF) campaign in California. This position is initially hired at
30 hours per week as a temporary employee. The Campaign Director will work
with students across California on both statewide campaign strategy and
local campaign implementation and development

If you enjoy helping wild, rehabilitated raptors, come join Audubon’s “Eyes
in the Sky (EITS) Program” at the Audubon Aviary in the beautiful “back
yard” of the Museum of Natural History. EITS has 7 formerly injured birds
of prey which are available for educational programs. EITS volunteers are
needed for mornings and afternoons.
Morning volunteers open up the aviary’s shutters (so the birds can get
visual stimulation and fresh air) and educate visitors about these amazing
birds. Shifts are once per week between 10 a.m. and 1p.m. and can either be
1.5 hours or all 3.0 hours.
Afternoon volunteers are trained to handle, care for and present the birds
to visitors. Hours are from 1:30 p.m. to 4:10 p.m once or twice a week.
For more information and to apply, call (805) 259-1446 or visit our
website: http://eyesinthesky.org

5)  BECOME A PART OF FAIRVIEW GARDENS!

Fairview Gardens is a local organic urban farm in Goleta on land that is
steeped in rich history. We're a 20min bike ride from UCSB/IV, and we offer
a plethora of hands-on experience growing soil, food, and community.

If you'd like to become involved with the farm in a particular way or
become part of Fairview Gardens' volunteer network, e-mail
education at fairviewgardens.org. Fairview Gardens is a space where students
may investigate and pursue their interests in local organic food,
permaculture systems, biodiversity, soil science, ecological farming, urban
agriculture, and farming beyond the organic standard.

E-mail e-mail education at fairviewgardens.org to become involved.

More info can be found at: http://fairviewgardens.org

Eric Zimmerman, Academic/Internship Coordinator, Lecturer
Environmental Studies Program
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4160

Office: Bren Hall, Rm 4312B